- Carbon news
- Event - COP22
Event - COP22
Proposing a “ladder” towards accountability on climate commitments
10 November – 2.30 pm – 4.00 PM – EU Pavilion, Blue zone – Room Brussels
Venue : COP22, Marrakech, Bab Ighli site, Morocco
With : CDP
Companies, cities, and regions have made thousands of ambitious climate commitments, for example setting targets for science-based emissions reductions and renewable electricity consumption, or committing to deforestation-free supply chains and responsible policy engagement. How can we know whether these commitments are in line with a transition to a 2 degrees pathway? In this event we propose that corporate reporting against climate commitments climbs a “ladder” of accountability that consists of four iterative steps: measurement, reporting & transparency, commitment and accountability. We will explore how these steps can be operationalised and the challenges and co-benefits involved, from the perspective of the data gatherer, the non-state actors and the policymakers.
The side event:
- Show that the steps to increase measurement, reporting & transparency; commitment, and accountability can be operationalized.
- Discuss the challenges in doing so and the co-benefits they create for participants, through the view of data gatherers, non-state actors and policy makers.
Round-table – Speakers
- Mr François Moisan, Executive Director of the French Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME)
- Pedro Faria – CDP Director
- Marjorie Doudnikoff (DGEC)
- Patrick Oliva (Michelin)
- Cameron Reid (AGL)